- Computational Social Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Information
- Education Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Incentives and Computation
- Infrastructure Studies
- Interface Design and Ubiquitous Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Science
- Social Computing and Computer-supported Cooperative Work
- Technology and Equity
Beginning with the Fall 2021 term the New York State of Education has mandated all courses that may count towards fulfilling a graduate degree must be at a 5000 level or higher. Courses taken at a 4000 level or lower can not count towards degree requirements. This mandate does not affect courses that were taken prior to the Fall 2021 semester. If you have questions or need further clarification please reach out to either Gilly Leshed, Director of the MPS program or Barbara Woske, Graduation Program Coordinator during their office hours.
The requirements for completion of an MPS degree in Information Science are designed to give students exposure to a range of Information Science and provide the flexibility for students to combine Information Science with their individual career goals.
I. Credit Requirements
30 credits of courses at a 5000-level or higher, distributed as follows:
- Information Science credits - at least 18 credits total. Please see the MPS Courses.
- A minimum of 9 credits from the Human and Social Systems category.
- A minimum of 9 credits from the Information Systems category.
- MPS Project credits - between 3 or 6 credits: Either in the MPS Project (INFO 5900) or in the Digital Technology Practicum (INFO/NBA 6480)
- Elective credits - 0 - 9 credits: Please see MPS Courses for a list of the approved electives for each semester. *Any electives not listed must have prior approval by the Director, who acts as faculty advisor for all MPS students. Please see the instructions to request an exception at the bottom of this page. Please note: All INFO, CS, STSCI courses at ≥5000-level that are not IS/HSS are automatically pre-approved as electives.
INFO 5905 Professional Career Development – offered in the fall and spring term.
All MPS students are required to enroll in and successfully complete INFO 5905 Professional Career Development. It is a 0.5 credit, pass/fail course. Students who have received a job offer or have secured a job awaiting them after graduation may petition to waive this requirement by emailing Barb Woske at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the start of the semester. If you are waived from this requirement please attach the approval to your course checklist for future reference.
II. Grade Requirements
- Information Science and Elective courses: a minimum grade of C. Two of these credits may be taken as pass/fail (S/U).
- MPS Project: a minimum grade of B.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
Students are welcome to attend office hours with either Gilly Leshed, Director of the MPS program, or Barbara Woske, Graduate Field Assistant. Please note office hours are designed to advise students of their academic plan, but also is a place to discuss any other aspects of student life. Office hours are held individually and once you log into the Zoom space you will be placed into a waiting room. You will be admitted to the meeting on a first come first serve basis. Please reference the Program Contacts page for Gilly's and Barbara's office hours.