- Message from the Chair
- Info Sci Colloquium
- Content Curation in Online Platforms
- Generative AI for the Cyberphysical World
- Making Better Decisions with Human-AI Teams
- Operationalizing Responsible Machine Learning: From Equality Towards Equity
- Data Values: Digital Surveillance and the New Epistemology of Psychiatry
- Computational Methods for Police Oversight and Reform Under Incomplete Data
- Why the First Amendment Protects Misinformation, and Why It Should Continue to Do So
- Tech / Law Colloquium
- IS Engaged
- Graduation Info
- Ethics and Politics in Computing Colloquium
- Info Sci Colloquium
- Contact Us
- Computational Social Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Information
- Education Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Incentives and Computation
- Infrastructure Studies
- Interface Design and Ubiquitous Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Science
- Social Computing and Computer-supported Cooperative Work
- Technology and Equity
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply to the MPS program?
- When is the application deadline?
- Is the application deadline a "hard deadline"?
- What items must be submitted by the application deadline?
- Is the MPS a STEM program?
- Do I need coding experience to apply?
- Is an engineering undergraduate degree required?
- How long will it take for a full-time student to complete the MPS program?
- When does the Fall semester start?
- Is work experience required?
- What are the minimum GRE requirements?
- What is the minimum GPA requirement?
- What are the minimum English language test requirements?
- Are Cornell employees eligible for tuition benefits?
- Are work study, teaching assistant, or research assistant opportunities available?
- Will courses be offered online?
- Can MPS students pursue a dual degree?
- Will CPT or OPT be offered to international students in the MPS program?
- May I transfer credits from my current school toward the MPS?
- When are decisions typically sent to applicants?
- Are there in-person visit days or recruitment events held on campus?
- May I request a deferral to my admission offer?
- I am currently a graduate student. Do you accept change of program petitions?
Please visit our Admissions page for detailed instructions on how to apply.
Deadlines vary for internal and external applicants. Please see our Admissions page – specifically the Deadlines section – for details.
Is the application deadline a "hard deadline"?
Yes! All materials must be submitted by the posted deadline. If an applicant is having technical difficulties with any part of the application they should email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the deadline for assistance.
What items must be submitted by the application deadline?
- statement of purpose (max 1000 words)
- diversity statement (max 1000 words)
- all transcripts
- two reference letters
- the online interview
- official language tests
Is this a STEM program?
Yes, the Information Science M.P.S. and PhD program are considered STEM programs. For more information please visit Cornell International Services: Office of Global Learning.
Do I need coding experience to apply?
Is an engineering undergraduate degree required?
No, we accept students from all undergraduate programs.
The MPS degree is a two-semester program. Students are required to complete 30 credits. Please see our curriculum page for detailed information about the course requirements.
The Fall semester typically begins around August 21, with classes starting on or around the third Monday of August. The spring semester begins on or around January 6, with classes starting on or around the third Monday of January. Please view the latest Academic Calendar for the exact dates of when classes start and end, and other important dates.
No, we do not require prior work experience in order to apply to the program.
We do not require nor accept the GRE test for application consideration.
The application is reviewed holistically, but most successful applicants have a minimum of a 3.2 GPA.
The minimum required TOEFL scores in order to be considered for admission are:
- Speaking: 24
- Reading: 20
- Listening: 15
- Writing: 20
The IELTS score requirement is an overall band score of 7.0 or higher with a speaking section score of 8.0. Applicants who do not meet the minimum scores in either language test will not be considered. Applicants are encouraged to schedule a language test no later than October and to have test scores sent no later than October 31. This will ensure the test is received by our posted deadline.
Yes, Cornell employees should contact the Employee Degree Office for details on this employee benefit. Please note that applicants from EDP will typically complete the program in 4 semesters.
Yes! MPS students are eligible for Graduate Teaching Research Specialist (GTRS) positions. These are a 7-10 hour per week teaching assistant type position. These positions pay a partial stipend for the semester. There is no tuition or health insurance premium compensation with these positions.
Will courses be offered online?
Can MPS students pursue a dual degree?
No, the MPS program is not a dual degree program.
Information on who is eligible and how to apply for CPT and/or OPT can be found on the International Services, Office of Global Learning site. Questions about immigration status should be directed to the GLO staff.
May I transfer credits from my current school toward the MPS?
No, all courses must be taken while registered and enrolled in the MPS program. Transfer credits are not accepted.
We typically have all decisions out to applicants by April 1.
No, we do not have in-person visit days, but people are welcome to visit the campus on their own. We recruit students at various events, such as the Tapia and Grace Hopper conferences, throughout the year.
May I request a deferral to my admission offer?
No, we will not defer an admission offer. Applicants are welcome to reapply by submitting a new application at a later time.
I am currently a graduate student. Do you accept change of program petitions?
No, we do not accept change of program petitions. You are welcome to apply to our program once you have completed your current degree program.