In the College of Engineering there are two types of recognition for student excellence that can appear on the diploma. One is graduating with distinction, which is solely based on GPA and is awarded by the college registrar. Graduating with distinction appends the Latin terms "cum laude", "magna cum laude" or "summa cum laude" to your diploma depending on your GPA. For more information see the Engineering Handbook.

The following requirements are for major honors, which are awarded by the ISST major and are reflected in the words "with honors" on the diploma. All coursework for major honors must be completed in addition to the major requirements, major-approved electives and advisor-approved electives. No courses can count for both honors and the major.

If you intend to pursue major honors, you must inform the Undergrad Coordinator by the end of your seventh semester by email.

Students planning to pursue honors must have the minimum gpa and complete the following cousework in addition to their ISST major courses:

  1. Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5
  2. Three credit hours of ISST letter-graded coursework at the 5000- level or higher (graded courses only; no one or two credit seminars or two-credit project courses). 5000- or 6000-level courses taken to fulfill the honors requirement may not be counted toward any other major requirements.*
  3. Six credit hours of INFO 4900 Independent Study and Research with an ISST faculty member, spread over two semesters, with a grade of at least an A- in each of the two semesters (except for courses taken in the Spring 2020 semester, a B+ (but not an S) will satisfy this requirement).

Note: It is expected that the INFO 4900 research will result in either a programming project and/or a written report.

*When registering for dually numbered courses (e.g. 3000/5000 or 4000/6000 level), undergraduate students must enroll for the 3000 or 4000 level option. As a result, dually numbered courses will not count towards fulfillment of the 5000 or 6000 level requirement. Please submit a ticket to the Bowers CIS Enrollment team to request to be switched into the 5000- or 6000-level version of a course.