- Computational Social Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Information
- Education Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Incentives and Computation
- Infrastructure Studies
- Interface Design and Ubiquitous Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Science
- Social Computing and Computer-supported Cooperative Work
- Technology and Equity
Future Department Graduation Dates
Friday, May 22, 2020
Friday, May 28, 2021
Friday, May 27, 2022
Friday, May 26, 2023
Friday, May 24, 2024
- Application to Graduate for CALS and Arts & Science students – All Info Sci students in CALS and the College of Arts & Sciences are required to submit, electronically, an official Application to Graduate (Part 1: College Requirements and Part 2: Major Requirements). For CALS students, please visit the CALS Important Forms and Policies page. For A&S students, please visit A&S's Applying to Graduate page.
- College of Engineering Graduation Review – Between the second semester of junior year and before the end of the first semester of senior year, Info Sci students from the College of Engineering need to meet with one of the advisors from 110 Gates Hall to go over the degree requirements/student checklist and make certain that they know what outstanding requirements need to be completed in order to graduate. Students should either make appointments with the advising staff or visit during office hours. Appointments are encouraged.
In order to be cleared for graduation, MPS students must submit the two forms listed below.
- Submit your Final Checklist by May 15. You will be sent the checklist form via email by the Information Science Graduate Program Office. It is important this is filled out correctly and in full. You should only include the courses that actually count toward your 30 credits to fulfill the degree requirements. Extra courses such as PE or non-4000 level courses should not be included on the checklist. However, if you were given special permission by the MPS Director Gilly Leshed to have a course not listed on the approved course list count toward your degree requirements, you must provide the approval email from Gilly along with your final checklist.
- Submit the Postgraduate Survey by May 15. All MPS students are required to submit the Postgraduate Survey regardless if you have secured employment or not. You will be able to update your status, and we want you to do this when you have secured a job. It is extremely important to us to have this information in order to continue to serve our students and to grow our program.
Your name will automatically be included in the University’s Commencement Program unless your expected graduation date is changing due to you finishing early. If this is the case, please contact Barbara Woske, email@example.com before March 30.
Information about Commencement events for PhDs, including the hooding ceremony, can be found on the Graduate School’s website. You must RSVP to the hooding ceremony by May 21. All PhD students are welcome to attend Commencement ceremonies regardless if you are graduating in May, August or December. Please note there is a December recognition that the University holds in mid-December. However, the Department of Information Science does not host a December ceremony.
Cap and Gown Rental
Head to the University's Commencement page to order your cap and gown. Wearing the cap, gown, and tassel is both traditional and required for participation in the procession and both University and Info Sci ceremonies. Your rental must be ordered by April 15 to avoid an additional charge. Cap and gown pick-up takes place between May 20 and 23.
Please review the University Commencement website. It has all the information you'll need regarding all of Cornell's 2020 Commencement activities, including: a full weekend schedule; lodging options; dining; parking; special instructions for accessibility needs, and announcement cards.
To help navigate Cornell's campus, check out this interactive map.
Weekend Event Ceremonies
Beginning Friday, May 22, the 2020 Commencement mainly consists of three separate ceremonies for graduating students, details for each are included below. They are: the Information Science Department ceremony, the Senior Class Convocation, and the University Commencement Ceremony.
Information Science Department Ceremony and Reception – Friday, May 22
Information Science is pleased to invite our degree candidates and their families to the annual graduation ceremony and reception beginning at noon Friday, May 22, 2020, at Barton Hall. At this ceremony, each undergraduate and graduate students will be individually recognized on stage. A reception with light refreshments will immediately follow the ceremony inside Barton Hall.
- 11:45 a.m. – Students, family and friends are asked to be seated for the ceremony.
- noon – Ceremony begins with introductory remarks and a keynote address from our featured speaker.
- 2 to 3 p.m. – a reception will be held in Barton Hall.
Parking: Parking is available in the Hoy Road Garage, adjacent to the baseball field and in close proximity to Gates Hall and Barton Hall. Have a look at this campus map.
Photos: Each year, Info Sci hires a professional photographer to capture every memorable moment throughout the ceremony, including the big moment when each student receives their diploma from our Chair. Once received, these photos are then shared with all of our students via Info Sci's list servs. Immediately following the ceremony, graduating students are asked to meet inside Barton Hall for group photos with their fellow cohorts.
Parents and friends, we understand you're justifiably excited about getting a good photo of your graduate, but we kindly ask that you refrain from populating the area near the front of the stage. Thank you!
Senior Class Convocation - Saturday, May 23, 2020
The largest event on Saturday is Convocation, and all are welcome to attend. It takes place from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. Saturday, May 23, 2020, at Schoellkopf Stadium and includes addresses from the University president, an invited guest speaker, and the senior class president. For further event details, please see the Convocation page on the University's Commencement website.
University Commencement – Sunday, May 24, 2020
University Commencement is a university-wide ceremony at which the president of the university formally confers all undergraduate and graduate degrees awarded throughout the past academic year. It takes place from 10 a.m. to noon, Sunday, May 24, 2020, at Schoellkopf Stadium. For further event details, please see the Commencement page on the University's Commencement website.