- Computational Social Science
- Critical Data Studies
- Data Science
- Economics and Information
- Education Technology
- Ethics, Law and Policy
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Human-Robot Interaction
- Incentives and Computation
- Infrastructure Studies
- Interface Design and Ubiquitous Computing
- Natural Language Processing
- Network Science
- Social Computing and Computer-supported Cooperative Work
- Technology and Equity
This concentration will equip students to learn about the world through data analytics.
The core course related to this concentration is INFO 2950: Introduction to Data Science.
Some faculty members whose research is related to this concentration include: Solon Barocas; Paul Ginsparg; Carla Gomes; Thorsten Joachims; Jon Kleinberg; Lillian Lee; David Mimno; Helen Nissenbaum, and David Williamson.
- Professional positions requiring data analytics and statistical analysis combined with communication in commercial, academic and public service settings.
- Ex: Data Journalist, who finds questions in the real world, collects and analyzes data to address that question, and then explains the implications of that analysis in accessible terms.
- Related Job Titles: data scientist, statistician, data engineer, machine learning engineer
Data Science Courses
Please reference the Cornell Class Roster for details on the courses below.
A. Data Analysis (choose one)
- INFO 3300: Data-Driven Web Applications
- CS 4780: Machine Learning for Intelligent Systems
- CS 4786: Machine Learning for Data Science
- ORIE 3120: Industrial Data and Systems Analysis
- ORIE 4740: Statistical Data Mining I
- STSCI 4740: Data Mining and Machine Learning
B. Domain Expertise (choose one)
- INFO 2770: Excursions in Computational Sustainability
- INFO 3350: Text Mining for History and Literature
- INFO 4120: Ubiquitous Computing
- INFO 4130: Health and Computation
- INFO 4300: Language and Information
- CS 4740: Natural Language Processing
C. Big Data Ethics, Policy and Society (choose one)
- INFO 3561: Computing Cultures
- INFO 4200: Information Policy: Research, Analysis, and Design
- INFO 4240: Designing Technology for Social Impact
- INFO 4270: Ethics and Policy in Data Science
- INFO 4561: Stars, Scores, and Rankings: Evaluation and Society
D. Data Communication (choose one)
- INFO 4310: Interactive Information Visualization
- COMM 3189: Taking America's Pulse: Creating and Conducting a National Opinion Poll
- COMM 4200: Public Opinion and Social Processes
- COMM 4860: Risk Communication